How to Knit a newborn baby's hat for beginners
How to Knit a Baby Hat
Knitting can be fun and relaxing. There is no better starter knitting project than knitting a baby hat: you can do it in a short amount of time, you only need one skein of yarn, and people with new babies love hand-crafted gifts! Whether this hat is for your own little bundle of joy or a gift for a friend who is expecting, it’s sure to be loved.
Preparing to Knit
Select the type of yarn.Because you have chosen to knit a baby hat, you will more than likely select a baby yarn.
- Consider buying extra-soft baby yarn, but know that you do not have to buy a yarn that is specifically made for babies.
- Know what yarn weight you need. Most baby items are made from lighter weight yarn, either “superfine” (1) or “fine” (2).
Decide what color of yarn you prefer.Remember that not all parents want pink for a girl or blue for a boy. Consider a gender neutral color or primary color.
- Consider choosing a variegated baby yarn instead of a solid color. There are also some new yarns that form a pattern as you knit.
Select the right needles.Many baby hat patterns require size 6 (4mm) needles.
- Start with straight needles if you are just beginning to knit. Circular needles are generally used by more advanced knitters.
- Determine how big your needles need to be. The needle size determines how big the loops are in your hat, and the wrong needles may lead to the hat being the wrong size. Note that there are metric and US sizes, so you may need to convert the size.
Knitting the Baby Hat
Cast on your knitting.Casting on is the way that you begin your knitting by creating a row of loops on one of your needles. See How to Knit for step-by-step instructions for casting on.
- Cast on 60 loops (if using 4mm needles) (more if the hat is not for a newborn).
- Hold your needles so that the left needle has the knitting on it, the needle points are facing away from you, and the yarn is leaving the needle to the right, on the bottom side of the needle.
Knit a 5 inch swath using a basic knit stitch.This will probably be about 50 rows if you’re using a fine baby yarn.
- Hold the needle with the cast-on loops in your left hand and pass the needle in your right hand through the stitch and behind your left needle.
- Wrap a loop of yarn counter-clockwise around the right needle point.
- Pull the right needle off through the stitch on the left side, and push the top stitch off of the left needle.
- Each knit stitch will add one loop to the needle on the right and remove one from the needle on the left. When you finish a row, change the needles to your other hands so that you start each row with the knitting on the left needle.
- Be sure your knitting trails to the right as you are knitting, towards the (at first) empty needle.
Taper off for the top of the hat.After knitting for about 5 inches, begin to decrease the length of your knitting.
- Instead of going through one stitch with your right needle, go through two stitches.
- Continue the 2-stitch decrease until you have only one loop left on your needle.
Cut off your extra yarn.Be sure to leave yourself a nice long tail of yarn for sewing the sides of the hat together. Tie the tail in a simple knot where it leaves the knitting before you begin to stitch with it.
Sew the hat together.Use a large sewing needle or a bobby pin, sew the hat sides together. Weave the excess yarn in and out along the two sides. Tie off the end and cut off the remaining tail.
Flip your hat inside out.The stitched seam should be on the inside, where it won’t be seen.
Decide how you want to give your hat as a gift.Wrap it nicely or include it in a display that includes other practical baby items, such as on top of a “diaper cake.”
QuestionI have one hand, is there a way I could make that?Top AnswererCrocheting with one hand can be a challenge, but it can be done. There are many different techniques depending upon your situation. Some Internet research and YouTube videos may help you find the style best suited to your needs. If you can figure out how to crochet with one hand, you can crochet anything, including this baby hat! Don't give up, take the challenge!Thanks!
QuestionHow many inches should the circumference be?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerCast on 30 stitches. The length should be at least 2 inches.Thanks!
QuestionWhat does HBS mean when knitting a baby hat?Community AnswerLook for a list of abbreviations on your knitting pattern. It should give you the the list of stitches required there.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I introduce a second color of yarn in the knitting project?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerI had a similar issue when I was using two unattached yarns. My mom just told me to tie the pieces of the yarn together (double knot) and cut the excess. The knot will land on one side and that can be the back side.Thanks!
QuestionDo I need to cast off after I taper the ends?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou should only have 1 stitch remaining on your right needle after you "taper" (or decrease), so all you have to do in order to cast off is cut the yarn and pull the loose tail through this last stitch.Thanks!
QuestionCan I knit a newborn hat on circular needles?Rebekah ArmstrongCommunity AnswerYes, there are numerous newborn hat patterns that can be done in the round.Thanks!
- You can easily add more rows or increase the stitches per row to change the size of the baby hat.
- Knitting on circular needles is more advanced, but a hat knitted with circular needles won’t require stitching (and won’t have a seam).
- Watch videos of other people knitting if you are not sure how to do it or if you feel as though you are doing something wrong.
- Block the baby hat when you are finished to give it a more professional look. This involves wetting the hat, then allowing it to dry in the shape you want it to maintain.
Things You'll Need
Sources and Citations
In other languages:
Português: , Español: , Deutsch: , Bahasa Indonesia: , Français: , Italiano:
About This Article
Aug 21, 2019
May 27, 2019
Mar 1, 2019
Aug 30, 2019
Apr 15, 2019
Jun 11, 2019
Dec 13, 2019
Apr 5, 2019
Jul 10, 2019
Nov 25, 2019
Video: How to Knit a Hat for Complete Beginners
Perchance To Dream
How to Spoil Your Pet Rabbit
What Is C. Diff (Clostridium Difficile)
Microtrend Monday: The Detail That Makes Any Outfit 10 Times More Summery
Ponytail Hairstyles Can Impress
How to get rid of pimples with baking soda Baking soda for pimples
Despi Swimwear 2014 Collection
Financial Issues Can Affect Your Relationship Here Are The Tips In Hindi
1. Mad Men (2007-2015), seven seasons
How to Do a Scratch Spin
These 6 Simple Yoga Poses Can Help Ease Your Sciatica Pain
Maintaining a Healthy Sex Life in Menopause
ADHD Children and Learning Disabilities