Benefits & Dangers of Tea Tree Oil
How to Dilute Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is an ideal treatment for many beauty ailments, such as acne and a variety of other skin related issues, but it can also be mixed with other ingredients to be an all natural, non-toxic cleaner. Due its antibacterial and anti fungal properties, tea tree oil is useful for topical treatments and cleaning. However, it is toxic when ingested. It is important to know the proper way to dilute tea tree oil, so you can safely reap the many rewards this versatile oil provides.
Using Tea Tree Oil in Your Home
Create an all-purpose cleaner.Mix 20-25 drops of tea tree oil with 1/4 cup water and 1/2 cup of distilled white vinegar in a spray bottle. Shake the mixture well before using. You can spray this mixture onto different surfaces, and then wipe the surface down with a clean cloth.This cleaner can be used as an all purpose,non-toxic cleaner in kitchens and bathrooms.
- Always shake well before using because the oil naturally separates from the vinegar and water.
Add tea tree oil to a smelly trash can.Trashcans can develop an unpleasant scent and are a breeding ground for bacteria. Mix one cup of baking soda with 1/4-1/2 a teaspoon of tea tree oil. Use a fork to work out all of the lumps. Shake the mixture into a fresh trash bag to reduce odor. This a natural deodorizer.
- This deodorizer also works for diaper pails.
Eliminate mold and mildew.Mildew grows on damp, warm surfaces. It tends to be white or black in color with a fuzzy texture. Mix 5-10 drops of tea tree oil and 1 cup of water in a spray bottle. Shake the mixture and then spray onto the mildew. Allow the mixture to sit for 3-5 minutes and then wipe with a damp cloth.
- The tea tree oil should prevent mildew from forming in the future, but reapply the mixture as needed.
Clean your washing machine.Washing machines can develop an odor and house bacteria. Run your empty machine on the hot cycle and add 10-15 drops of tea tree oil. This will get rid of any bacteria or odor.
- You an also add 2-3 drops of tea tree oil to a load of clothes to clean your clothes more effectively.
Create your own dryer sheets.Apply 5 drops of tea tree oil to wool dryer balls or 5 inch (12.7 cm) cotton squares (use an old T-shirt to create the homemade sheets). Add the balls or homemade dryer sheets to the load of clothes. These sheets and balls are reusable.
- Add a few more drops to the sheets or balls when you can no longer smell the tea tree oil.
Repel insects and pests.Many pests do not like the smell of tea tree oil. Add about 20 drops to a spray bottle and then fill the bottle with water. Shake well, and spray around doorways and cracks where insects and pests are likely to enter.
Using Tea Tree Oil on Your Body
Treat your acne.Tea tree oil can help get rid of acne causing bacteria. Add 1-3 drops of tea tree oil to your cleanser or moisturizer.Tea tree oil can also be mixed with a teaspoon of coconut oil and applied to your face. Use a cotton swab to apply the mixture to your face and let your skin absorb it.
- There is good scientific evidence that tea tree oil is effective for treating acne.
Treat skin conditions.Mix 1 tablespoon (14.8 ml) of a carrier oil - olive oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil - and 8-10 drops of tea tree oil and apply to the irritated parts of your skin. This can decrease itching, irritation, and symptoms associated with eczema,water warts, and viral skin infections in both children and adults.This mixture can also be used for allergic skin reactions to nickel.
- More studies are needed to determine how effective this treatment is though.
Add tea tree oil to your shampoo.Incorporate 3 or 4 drops of tea tree oil into your regular shampoo. This mixture helps to relieve dry flaky scalp, dandruff, and psoriasis. Add a few drops to your shampoo and wash your hair as you usually would.
- You can also mix a few drops of tea tree oil with a carrier oil (e.g. jojoba oil, olive oil, coconut oil) and apply the mixture directly to your scalp. Leave it on for an hour, and then wash your hair as you usually would.
- The scientific evidence is unclear on the effectiveness of tea tree oil to treat scalp conditions.
Get rid of Athlete's foot and toenail fungus.Mix equal parts tea tree oil and olive oil and rub the mixture on the affected are twice a day.It takes about 4 weeks for the treatment to work.For toenail fungus, apply 100% tea tree oil to the infected toe, 2 times a day for 6 months.
- If you do not want to use undiluted tea tree oil, mix 1 teaspoon of coconut oil and 1 to 2 drops of tea tree oil and apply to your toe using a cotton ball. Bandage the cotton ball to your toe and leave it on overnight.
Treat a vaginal infection.Tea tree oil can be used for both bacterial and yeast infections. Apply coconut oil or olive oil to a tampon and then add 2 - 4 drops of tea tree oil. Insert the tampon, and leave it in for an hour. Do this for 3 to 5 days if symptoms continue.
- It is unclear how effective tea tree oil is for treating vaginal infections.
Know when to avoid tea tree oil.If you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or undergoing childbirth you need to avoid topical use of tea tree oil. It may decrease the strength of your contractions.If you have a known allergy or sensitivity to tea tree oil, Balsam of Peru, benzoin, colophony (rosin), tinctures, eucalyptol, or plants of the myrtle family, you should not use tea tree oil.
- Women should not apply tea tree oil to the breast area because it may have hormonal properties.
- Prepubescent boys should avoid using tea tree oil as well, as it could lead to the growth of breast tissue.
- If you have linear IgA, an immune disease, you should not use tea tree oil as it can cause blisters.
Be aware of possible side effects.Tea tree oil is safe when diluted properly, but side effects are possible. These symptoms include inflammation of the mouth, skin irritation (e.g. burning, itching, redness, rash, warmness), ear damage, stomach pain, fatigue and drowsiness, diarrhea, weakness, or nausea. Stop using tea tree oil immediately if you experience any of these symptoms. See a doctor if the side effects persist.
QuestionCan tea tree oil be used safely on a boil, or should it be diluted?
Naturopathic DoctorNaturopathic DoctorExpert AnswerTea tree oil should always be used diluted in a carrier oil. You can repeat the treatment on the boil 4-6 times a day.Thanks!
QuestionMy ophthalmologist told me to use tea tree oil for mites and bacteria in my eyelashes. Is it safe to use around my eyes? How should I dilute it?
Naturopathic DoctorNaturopathic DoctorExpert AnswerYes, tea tree oil is safe around the eyes, but be careful not to get any in your eye. Use 4-5 drops of tea tree oil in a tablespoon of carrier oil, such as castor or jojoba oil. Use a cotton ball or q-tip to apply it only to your eyelashes.Thanks!
QuestionHow much tea tree oil should I mix with water for my dog's ear infection and for her skin?
Naturopathic DoctorNaturopathic DoctorExpert AnswerCall your vet for the best advice, but a starting point would be 4-5 drops of tea tree oil for every ounce of water.Thanks!
QuestionFor dogs, what should I use to dilute the tea tree oil, and at what ratio?
Naturopathic DoctorNaturopathic DoctorExpert AnswerYou can use water or a carrier oil such as jojoba or castor oil. Start with about 4-5 drops of tea tree oil for every ounce of carrier oil.Thanks!
QuestionI have a cat inside. If I spray the room with tea tree oil, does she need to be out of the house?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerTea tree oil is toxic to cats. If they get it on their fur and groom themselves it will be toxic when ingested. Keep tea tree oil away from cats.Thanks!
QuestionCan jojoba oil be used as a carrier oil with tea tree oil for vaginal yeast infection?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIt can, but coconut oil would be much better as it has antifungal and microbial properties as well.Thanks!
QuestionCan tea tree oil be safely used on pregnant dogs?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerTTO should not be used for a pregnant woman, so there's likely a risk for a pregnant dog as well.Thanks!
QuestionCan I use tea tree oil on the back of my cat's neck to help with fleas?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes, just make sure it's diluted well; about 6 drops to 1 cup of water.Thanks!
QuestionCan tea tree oil be used to prevent lice? If so, how much do I use and what do I dilute it with?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes, just add 1 to 2 drops in your shampoo. Mix well before each use, as it will separate when left sitting in the bottle.Thanks!
QuestionCould I use tea tree oil on a wound/ulcer in the elderly? Should it be full strength or diluted?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerTea tree oil should not be used on broken skin, period. Also, when using tea tree oil on the skin in any way, it should be diluted. Full strength tea tree oil can burn one's skin.Thanks!
Can I make a spray for coats/backpacks to use as a lice deterrent for my child's items that get taken to school? I am asking for mostly for fabric.
If my shampoo and conditioner are both 25 ounces apiece.then how many drops of teatree oil should I put in each bottle to kill lice?
Can I safely use tea tree oil on open skin where a boil was removed? If so, what is the proper diution?
Can Almond oil be used as a base oil to mix with tea tree pure essential oil to be applied to scalp psoriasis
Can I bathe in tea tree oil to get rid of bird mites?
- Because tea tree oil is considered to have antiseptic and anti-fungal properties, it helps to kill germs that cause acne, warts and other skin related issues. It also helps prevent infections caused from second and third degree burns, all the while helping to prevent scarring.
- Tea tree oil is also used in a variety of other beauty products, such as those for oral hygiene, skin lotions, lip and mouth sores as well as fungal infections of the nails.
- Before applying tea tree oil on larger areas of the body, it is important to place a small amount on a patch of skin. This test will let you know if you have any type of allergic reaction to the tea tree oil. If so, you can discontinue use and consult a physician.
- Tea tree oil can be toxic to pets, mainly cats who might ingest it during grooming.
- Tea tree oil should never be taken internally. This can cause severe side effects. Again, do not swallow tea tree oil.
Sources and Citations
Upload a picture for other readers to see.
In other languages:
Español: , Italiano: , Português: , Русский: , Français: , Deutsch: , Bahasa Indonesia: , Nederlands: , العربية:
Video: Natural Remedies & Nutrition : Tea Tree Oil & Psoriasis
Step Inside Gerard Butlers Epic Bohemian Old-World Loft
More ideas for old-fashioned baby names
For the Love of Henry
Here is how to survive an avalanche
How to Return an Engagement Ring
The Active Plank Series That Tones Your Whole Body
How to Build a Planter Box Wheelbarrow
Rita Ora And Cara Delevingne Party In Paris After Valentino Show
How To Wear A Backward Shirt-18 Outfit Ideas with Backward Shirts
Jehee Sheen Clothing: SS14 Collection
Heres Where To Get Free Food On Valentines Day
Exercise Safely With Atrial Fibrillation